"C" Lures signatures - early models?

C Lures
MXB
Master
Master

"C" Lures signatures - early models?

Post by MXB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi all . . .

These arrived in the mail and I had taken a punt on the signatures but can anyone interepret this lures handwritten markings on th bib?

The top lures signature has faded somewhat. What is the date for these Carl Grist lures?
php4H0kbmPM.jpg
phpjDg1s7PM.jpg
phpShzsXdPM.jpg
MXB

howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

MXB
Master
Master

Re: "C" Lures signatures - early models?

Post by MXB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Here's the faded signature on the top lure;
phpuqt95vPM.jpg
MXB

howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:18 pm

@MXB

nice ones.

Not sure what the numbers on the bib mean it could be a code for the colour scheme though the ones Stephen Booth posted were a 2 digit code.

TonyM or fish69blue would be the best bet for timelines however I have some of Carl Grists that were 1980/81 which were earlier models than these.

Simon

fish69blue
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fish69blue » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi MXB,a couple of nice lures definately made by Carl.The top one appears to be Mid 80's while the bottom one is somewhat harder to tell.I have not seen a C lure with so much writing on the bib.I have quite a few like yours with numbers on the bib as well as Carls Signature mark.Mine are the colour code no.s for the first Harboard Tackle Catalogue featuring Carl's lures.
If only I could track the little Pommie down one would be able to clear up quite a few mysteries surrounding his lures.Bearing in mind that Carl finished up in 92 your brown lure is still most probably late 80's at a pinch.Hope this helps,Regards Barry

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi Barry . . .

Thanks for the tentative dating of this lure and it has me baffled?? The L in the writing is extended to look like a fishing rod and the "6" or "9" is like a fish being caught. The longer number on the bottom of the bib is a mystery too. I had them dated around the mid-1980's which is when I first came across these lures in Sydney. I suppose the only one who could definitely ID this lures date would be Carl himself!

Regards

Roger

howdy

fish69blue
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fish69blue » Wed May 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Roger further research has found that Carl started using stickers in Early 1991.His wife Judy signed all his lures by hand previous to that.Regards Barry

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Fri May 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Roger/Barry,
I have a brochure with an actual photo of the C-Lure range that Peter Fooks sent me from The Lure Shop in Cooktown.
This was in 1988, I ordered several 3" and 4" models for barra fishing, they were all hand signed under the bib, no numbers however.
Years later I was fortunate to find many mint signed C-Lures in a Darwin Cash Converters, several different colours and models, someone must have stored them unfished for many years, the hooks had oxidized in the top-end heat, but the paint was pristine, got them for about $5 each.
The bottom lure in your pic was called a Tiger, the 3" ones were called Baby Tigers, great barra lures for creek casting.
Regards, Tony (Wulagi, NT).
"Always merry and bright"

grey nomad
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by grey nomad » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:29 am

Hi everyone. Both lures are Baby Tigers, top one hand crafted from White Beech, mid 80's, bottom one made on copy lathe from Black Pepperwood, late 80's.Writing on bib $6, 'C' Lures and probably a Harboard stock no. Hope this clears up some questions. Cheers Carl.

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:41 pm

Carl

thanks for the info. clapclap

Simon

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:12 am

grey nomad wrote:Hi everyone. Both lures are Baby Tigers, top one hand crafted from White Beech, mid 80's, bottom one made on copy lathe from Black Pepperwood, late 80's.Writing on bib $6, 'C' Lures and probably a Harboard stock no. Hope this clears up some questions. Cheers Carl.
Carl thanks so much for the info on these lures . . . invaluable info too. The weird thing is that I worked at Harbord tackle in the early to mid 1980's while still in high school and never bothered keeping a catalogue or buying these lures when they came into stock later in the 1980's.

Also Barry thanks for you info too . . . its great to post these things so future lure collectors can ID and understand the history.

They are magnificent lures and one of my favourites to collect although I don't have many

You guys are a wealth of knowledge and thank you

MXB

thumbsupsmilie

Return to “C Lures”