Seeker Lures
ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

SEEKERS CATALOGUE--AN ATTEMPT, Reference only

Post by ocd1688 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:38 pm

THE KEN HENDRY SEEKERS

INTRODUCTION

This is intended as a guide to, in my humble opinion, one of Australia’s iconic lures. Please note that the knowledge base is limited and incomplete.It may eventually become a reference source when more information are added from other contributors .

It is not intended as a self gratifying exercise and I apologise for any mistakes as I feel foolish enough for even comtemplating doing this.

Lots of ideas have come and gone in my head re how to go about cataloguing these lures.

Because they are all hand carved and painted there are so many variations in shape , sizes, colour patterns, their eyes, presence or absence of signatures or stamps , metal or polycarbonate bibs, each one is different to the next in some details.

Nor is a time line a sensible way to do this because it is just impossible to know when certain lure was made.

In the end it become clear that if I were to organise them in such a way that they belong to certain stages of development , the task become much more manageable.
So I will start:

IN THE BEGINNING

Ken was a fishman who made lures to fish with. The following are some lures that he made in the beginning. They come in again in different sizes and shapes.
Most of these have been posted elsewhere.

The round bibs.
IMG_2353.JPG
The dolls eye lure is a very nice lookng lure and more detailed pics wil be posted later as I think it is a special lure.
The famous "dreaded frog"is a magnificient Seeker. It is a short bibbed frog!!! . Hopefully some detailed pics can be made available some day soon.

The SPECIAL.
IMG_2196.JPG
IMG_2193.JPG
IMG_2194.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG
This very interesting lure is on loan from a member here. Thank you very much Matt. It has sticked on eyes, a dished metal bib and an internal rattle!!!

There are a few more coming and I shall post them next.

I hope this will create some interest and help to uncover some of the early Ken's Seekers.
Please feel free to add your lures and comments. Any constructive suggestions to improve my feeble attempt at this are welcome. bowsmilie bowsmilie bowsmilie

Albert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SEEKERS CATALOGUE--AN ATTEMPT

Post by ocd1688 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:27 pm

This is the most interesting lure in the collection. Here are more pics
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG

The Mudbugs
IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG
More to come
Hope you like.

Albert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:00 am

205_FROG.jpg

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:03 am

To continue this phase of development I would like to present:

The dolls eyes.

This is a big lure with robust lines. One can almost the see the beginning of the sort of profile for the later lures.
IMG_2436.JPG
IMG_2438.JPG
IMG_2435.JPG
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2425.JPG
The little lure above is well made and is the only one I came across.
I have also taken the opportunity for some new pics of the round bib dolls eye which showed the dimension of the lure better.
It has very clean lines and the paint work is excellent compared to the rest of the samples.
IMG_2415.JPG
IMG_2411.JPG
IMG_2413.JPG
Albert

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:18 am

I also realise that instead of saying the lures were posted elsewhere, that fresh pics should be posted. Hard to go thru 34 pages to find them thumbsupsmilie
So here they are
IMG_2432.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG
IMG_2439.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:39 am

This is also an interesting lure.
It has just about all the features of the modern Seeker.
The paint work can even be almost described as an early YellowBlack
Its length is just on 100.
IMG_2430.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG
IMG_2431.JPG
All the lures in this segment has no signature or any other marks. They are different in shapes and sizes, painted, stick on and dolls eyes and none of them are in the modern lengths of 110, 90 , 70 and 55.

One can see that there is no possible way to catalogued them apart from grouping them into a period 0f development of Ken's lures.

The last pic showed the yellow lure among some early beauties. There is even a dolls eyes with a round bib,amongst that lot. I wonder where the others are now ???
IMG_2402.JPG
Albert
Last edited by ocd1688 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 am

The “DREADED FROG” ,as much I love her, is from a different era, a bit later I say.
The cute little lure with the lexan bib doesn’t belong here either.

They were put there as a lure, pardon the punt, for someone to come forth and point out my errors.
Criticism does not have to be harsh and informed opinions can only add to the knowledge base.
As I pointed out in the beginning my knowledge base is incomplete.

Be that as it may I shall soldier on.
There are some common features in these early lures.
1. They do not have any signatures on them.
2. They do not have any screws showing. Whether they are pinned or screwed under the paint I am not about to find out. Is it important to find out?
3. They all have metal bibs. The round ones are either flat or dished. The serrated bibs are distinguished from the later models with much shallower serrations. Is the number of serrations important?
4. The eyes are either dolls eyes, stick on eyes, dot eyes,” primitive” painted eyes, and the slightly later uniform round eyes.

It will be great Mully, with your magic wand, put the pics from the thread “some very early Seekers” here. bowsmilie bowsmilie bowsmilie

I would also recommend this thread. It is a good read.

Albert

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Thought I would post this one up.
I don't know where she belong.
She is over 110 , black with green spots.
But those eyes!!!
It is neither here nor there.
I feel she belongs here.
IMG_2453.JPG
IMG_2454.JPG
Any thoughts ??? ??? ???

Albert
Last edited by ocd1688 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:36 pm

This one looks to have better eyes, but still not the later ones. She also looks to have more metallic or maybe your photography is better. A terrible hard lure to photograph & get the colour right, I even tried one in it`s natural environment.

Does that one have the rib under the bib. Maybe Ken was experimenting with the Black Frog colour (as I call it) & your baby is an early trial. I do have a 90 Black Frog with the later eyes but no metallic dusting.

black frog 001.JPG
black frog 003.JPG
black frog 004.JPG
Regards.....Vince.

Flicker
Expert
Expert
Mood:

Post by Flicker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:52 pm

what are the cut outs in the bibs like ??? are they a shallow cut out or depeer like the later models?

actually that is a nice colour those two oldies are thumbsupsmilie
Cheers
Adam (Sniper Lures)

Return to “Seeker Lures”