Newell Merlins ?

Newell Lures
aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Newell Merlins ?

Post by aussbasstony » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi all I was looking through some old photo's I had and came across this one of Two Newell Merlins which I was told were made for a weekends fishing the Gold Coast Flathead Classic years ago and by the scratches on them it seems they caught a few.

Can anyone tell me or better still show me pics of what or how many varients there were of Pete's Merlins ??? They are a great lure and love the different shapes which evolved .

P.S.- Edit myself, The bottom one seems to be a Scorpion shape crazysmilie but the top one is Merlin , Double crazysmilie crazysmilie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simon bruce
Master
Master

Re: Newell Merlins ?

Post by simon bruce » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Couple of nice lures there, matching colours and great colours as well. Haven't seen any Newells in that scheme let alone a marching Merlin and Scorpion.

The few Peter Newell Merlins I've seen in photos were eyes up so the eyes down is a bit of a variation.

As for the history of them I've seen one of Peters in the flesh and a couple of pics of others no doubt there are variations in the bibs. The few of Peter Newells I have seen had pointed metal bibs which were a bit steeper that the ones in your picture which also appear to be lexan.

Someone on this forum who likes Merlins a bit more than most is Bullrout22 and I am sure his Merlin sense is tingling to alert him to this post now.

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:05 pm

Simon,

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree they are a great couple of lures and in there mint condition would of been awesome.
But stranger things happen and the lures were made to be fished and seems these ones did just that thumbsupsmilie

Also I have only seen metal bib merlins too Simon , and am sure there might be some other varients out there somewhere .

In my small amount of time don't recall many Newell lures in this colour but I am no expert.

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Tony i only have the two,both with the pointy metal bib but different hookhangers and eyes wich may sugest slightly different time frames.Wazza would be the one with a bit more info and i noticed he has a deep diving metal bib version. Brolly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Brolly,

that Baby poo Pumkin colour is a classic look, this alone puts yours in the very early bracket doesn't it ???

The Merlin is such a slim bassic make and I reckon they are a gem of lure to have in ones collection.

oog663
Expert
Expert
Mood:

Post by oog663 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Tony don't want to get your post off track.... BUT.... in your first Photo, could't help but notice the table the Lures & Camera bag are sitting on would make nice Painted Sticks lol lol lol
By the way very nice Lures
Steve
*** Neighbours Cats make nice Hats ***

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:12 am

bullrout22 wrote:
Someone on this forum who likes Merlins a bit more than most is Bullrout22 and I am sure his Merlin sense is tingling to alert him to this post now.
Simon

I know nothing about P Newell Merlin's thumbsupsmilie but I want one droolsmilie droolsmilie yay

The only thing I can tell you is that J Bennett gave Peter and Rob Gadin some back in 89 or 90,hopefully
Rob will see this post he has told us before about these lures I'm trying to remember where it was -duh
Sorry Tony & Bullrout....these lures were made after that time frame that I had an involvement with the maker. The first "Flat-head-classic" was in 1994 from memory.

Therefore they would have been made after then. If you could find out who the angler was that they were made for.....then find out when they fished the classic ( only a few ever fished the first few years ...then it got really large participation ) ...then you might get a closer time frame.
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:20 am

oog663 wrote:Tony don't want to get your post off track.... BUT.... in your first Photo, could't help but notice the table the Lures & Camera bag are sitting on would make nice Painted Sticks lol lol lol
By the way very nice Lures
Steve

Steve,

you have passed the test mate a true Lure maker aren't you lol You can see right through the foreground and see the true potential of timber, Well done thumbsupsmilie lol

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:27 am

Hi All and thanks for the reply's , I better get a couple of facts stright .

Sadly these lures are not mine cccc I just took a picture of these a while ago and came across them last night and liked them. thumbsupsmilie

RDR, mate even 1994 is a long time ago for my old brain crazysmilie Yeah I know where the owner is and you know him thumbsupsmilie

I do like the looks of them and was just curious as to how many Newell Merlins were made and if there was a set shape for them. I know very little only what I try and read about the early years of lure blanks. It confuses me plenty -duh

Anyway , whose got more Merlin Shapes to show ???

wazza
Expert
Expert

Post by wazza » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:34 pm

I have only seen two variations on the Newell merlin here are my two bottom right corner of the picture. The story of the Merlin can be controversial as to who designed and named it, pm me and I will let you know as to not start a argument on here and i do have some proof.
warren

Return to “Newell Lures”