Water Dragon ?

Newell Lures
aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Water Dragon ?

Post by aussbasstony » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi All,

First off about these pictures I have permission to use these pictures from the owner as he emailed them through to me, and yes he said I can post these on another forum ! And thanks for the great pictures !

I love my Newell's Lures and when I received this particular lure from a good friend he told me that it was a "Water dragon" now he in no way uses the internet or looks at any Forums on the Big WWW about lures. He had no reason to Lie to me what this lure is as when he received it was told it was a Water Dragon.

After I received it i was hesitant about listing it as a Water Dragon as from all posts i have seen a few people state that this lure is a "Skink" Now this is where providence could come into the discussion , why would someone call it something and people within the know think it's another thing. A couple of collectors have this same lure on a card and the card states what I am asking also so where do we go from here. ................

Then I get hold of these pictures below of a signed Lure with "Water Dragon" on it. do we drop everything else agree that these are what is signed ? I for one hope it is a dragon and now throw it out there for peoples opinion .

I don't want a hot debate to start but would like a friendly follow on of constructive information. thumbsupsmilie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neb
Expert
Expert

Re: Water Dragon ?

Post by neb » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:39 pm

I think it looks quite different from a skink, it looks longer and not as segmented, I am no expert on this it just looks different to a skink....Nev

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:33 pm

agree looks a lot different but im no collector of Newells so ill wait and see I reckon there are a few here that will know

wazza
Expert
Expert

Post by wazza » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:15 am

Water Dragon, The skink has a slightly more turned down tail and the dip behind the head is more pronounced.
warren

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:42 am

SO mine is a Skink then ?

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:55 am

In my mind and a few others there has always been some confusion as to what may or maynot be a WaterDragon or a Skink i'm talking specifically about the long thin shape with the body length of approx 115mm which Tony has questioned here.What is apparent with this particular shape/length is they all appear to have a similar size and relatively small bib.I think it is excepted that the shorter nuggety shape with the much larger bib is a Skink and also except that the Skink was made in a few different sizes.However i personally havn't seen small sizes in the Waterdragon(not to say they're not out there)Whilst with a lot of lures in the same size and model from various makers there has been subtle changes in shape overtime and i'm sure this has contributed here however i think what has created most confusion is the potetional to write the wrong model name either on the lure and or card as i have/had several of examples of this across various makes and models. Although certainly the bigest err in regard to the WaterDragon can be veiwed in Frank Prokops "Lure ENCYLOPEDIA"page 104 lure no. 811 where it is stated that they are made of plastic lol Anyway heres a few pics of some i have. Brolly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:30 pm

@ Brolly

i reckon theres a couple in your middle photo that I'd call "skinks". The two red eyed ones look a bit "skinky" with their lumpy heads and steeper bib angles. However as we see from the guppys there are variations over the years. Maybe the "water dragon" evolved to the "skink" or the "skink" was a smaller version of a "water dragon" which then got made as a large sized version of the "skink" which closely resembled the original "water dragon". What fun this lure collecting caper is.

@ausbasstony I'd lean to "water dragon" with yours based on the photos due to flatter head and bib angle.

wazza
Expert
Expert

Post by wazza » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:26 pm

These are three different sized skinks.
warren

wazza
Expert
Expert

Post by wazza » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Three different water dragons. straighter in profile to the skink.

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:04 pm

@wazza I like your work. clapclap Can see the tail down attitude on the skinks. Head lumpiness seems to vary a bit but the tail down versus straight body is clearly illustrated. thumbsupsmilie

Return to “Newell Lures”