Newell Cray

Newell Lures
oldfish
Expert
Expert

Re: Newell Cray

Post by oldfish » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Rupe,

Yeah,a little bit strange mate.When I said I had a Kadaitcha with a Luxon clip there were Doubting Thomases everywhere.

Now everyone's in love with this Luxon clip (Not your fault Brolly,please don't take offence)

Cheers,Jim

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:21 am

Jim,

Dad wrote in one of those 'fakes section' topics that he gave Peter some of those clips way back in the day so its no wonder they started appearing in peoples lure collections eventually. From the amount that have surfaced now it was obviously something Peter started to like, although I also read he soldered the middle of them as an extra precaution.

I dont think the luxon connector makes any particular lure worth more or less, it might just give everyone a few clues on age etc.
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

wazza
Expert
Expert

Post by wazza » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Rupe wrote:Jim,

Dad wrote in one of those 'fakes section' topics that he gave Peter some of those clips way back in the day so its no wonder they started appearing in peoples lure collections eventually. From the amount that have surfaced now it was obviously something Peter started to like, although I also read he soldered the middle of them as an extra precaution.

I dont think the luxon connector makes any particular lure worth more or less, it might just give everyone a few clues on age etc.
When the fake Newell discussion was at its peak Kathy show me a invoice for luxon clips that they had ordered from the usa,
Kathy liked the clips as it stopped Peter soldering tow points on her kitchen sink.
warren

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:23 pm

wazza wrote:Kathy liked the clips as it stopped Peter soldering tow points on her kitchen sink.
warren
Peter seemed to push to limits, she was not real happy about him converting the grandmothers cedar dining table that was passed down to her either. Solder in the sink should be easy to overlook in comparrison lol

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Talking about the tow points of the lure, I was told awile ago that backyard makers only used these type of clips, what makes this a cheaper or for a matter of question a worse tow point.

And who really knows what Newelly got up to in his back yard shed, dam wish I had more of his master pieces -duh Are we only certain when we see his name on a lure ? so if we all go and get them signed does that make them worth more ???

Sorry Brolly for high jacking your post of a great pick up mate. It's just I'm curious that some people seem to have so so many signed lures but were they done before he passed ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Here's a little bit of a photo history showing the origins of where this shape came from:

First Rellik-Doc's made 1985/86
IMG_4074.JPG
Trevor worked for peter 86-87 - they only made 2 shapes (scorpion & kadaitcha)...at the time I was making 10 or more different shapes of lures

Refined Rellik-Doc - smoother Shape 1987
IMG_4075.JPG
In 1987 Trevor goes out on his own & produces his own new shapes - Shrimp, Aussie 200 & Dart
1.jpg
This is the Rellik-doc originally seen in the picture 'mully' posted of my lures
IMG_4081.JPG
IMG_4083.JPG
Rellik-doc off John Bennett's lathe 1989 - John made 400-500 of these for me
IMG_4077.JPG
The 3 different models - pay special attention to the different noses
IMG_4078.JPG
IMG_4079.JPG
IMG_4080.JPG
More in the next post...this one is 'Full'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Continued from above:

'Newell Cray' was made early to mid 1990's
4.jpg
6.jpg
9.jpg
Thats a chronological order of the shape for you all
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

Baz
Guru
Guru
Mood:

Post by Baz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Very useful info Rob.
I know this is a bit off topic.When you get a bit of spare time Rob, would you mind doing a chronological order of the Biggoon and Battleaxe, in the RMG section, as these lures went through a couple of shape changes as well over the years?
Wishin I was Fishin..!!

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:59 am

Up-date...spoke to Jamie and Trevor yesterday....the newell Cray was not made until 1999-2000....made on Peters copy lathe. Still only a handful done ...RARE !!
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

Return to “Newell Lures”