What to do?

Newell Lures
brolly
Guru
Guru

Re: What to do?

Post by brolly » Fri May 14, 2010 10:06 pm

brolly wrote:Alright guys,stay tuned and sometime over the next couple of days i'll post a pic of "Brollys Black Bass Ammo"
Well guys as promised here's a pic of"Brollys Black Bass Ammo" thus far.Whilst i intended to only take timber Aussie made lures to PNG and preferably ones that could be replaced if sacrificed, things don't always go to plan.When i decided to take the larger Bounty Hunters (ABS plastic)i kind of broke my own rules.Then the Rapala Skitter Pops aren't Aussie made and obviously the Newells aren't replaceable however i do have doubles.I still have a bit of culling to do not to mention some refitting of trebles and split rings and i will be adding a few more timber lures from other makers as well when they come available and maybe a couple of plastic ones as well not to mention i have very little in top water lures yet but i'll add some more of those soon.So i figure nearly a hundred lures could end up coming on the trip with me and i'm sure that is a mass over kill but least i shouldn't get homesick surrounded by that many lures.I'm thinking there could be a few in this bunch that may be hard to recognise the maker so feel free to ask if not sure and don't be afraid to add any thoughts on what you think i should or shouldn't take. Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Fri May 14, 2010 10:30 pm

Brolly .... awesome set of 'fishing lures' - somehow think they are all too good to be used in anger -duh lol thumbsupsmilie

Question: really love the surface Esoteric at the bottom of the pic, but is that a Sardinops in the middle of the set or am I deceptively deceived ???
Cheers Rob

Stephen Booth
Expert
Expert

Post by Stephen Booth » Sat May 15, 2010 7:21 am

Brolly

If you need to cull the to take list (and you certainly do as you still need to take a rod and reel!) thos ered and black lures look out of place. I am sure blackbass don't eat red and black lures - sure I read that somewhere. And get more surface lures for God's sake man!

It's funny that your to take collection would make a great start to a budding collector's gathering of lures.

Already looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing the stories.

SB

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Sat May 15, 2010 9:51 am

Lure-Nut wrote: Question: really love the surface Esoteric at the bottom of the pic, but is that a Sardinops in the middle of the set or am I deceptively deceived ???
Dont confirm or deny anything Brolly, keep him guessing Brolly lol

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Sat May 15, 2010 10:03 am

the big question is which one do you tie on first??? ??? ??? ???
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sat May 15, 2010 10:09 am

@brolly . . .

I'm sure you're aware that Black Bass will crunch lures in half and have the mouth strength of a pitbull lol

Some wonderful looking lures in that lot . . . maybe start with the bounty hunters as that was what they were made for although I'm sure everyone would love to see a PNG Bass wrapped around an Esoteric, a Gidgee or a Newell!!

Thanks for showing us the kit

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sat May 15, 2010 10:17 am

Mike, I bags the 4th most beaten up Jolls when ya get back lol lol lol

From what I have gleaned from those who have met L. goldiei, make sure anything you cast out has sharp HEAVY hooks, ULTRA STRONG rings
and a tow point that is connected to EVERY hook eye. I have seen (in hand & in pics) timber and solid foam lures that are broken in half, and plastic hollow lures crushed flat. Any lure with flaws in the manufacture WILL fail at the worst possible moment.The majority of the damage comes from locking up on the fish and having the wuzzy's pull the fish out of the snags by reversing the dinghy away (they get pretty enthusiastic about it apparently).

If you aren't adverse to taking plastics, but still in the aussie collectible but obtainable vein, some Strike Zone Psycho Large would go well. A number of ex pat anglers used to get them sent up just for the Bass. Solid poly foam, stainless through wire, have seen one after being smashed by a 30kg Blackie, much scarred & bitten, broken at 2 points, but still got the fish into the boat by virtue of the through wire.

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Return to “Newell Lures”