What to do?

Newell Lures
brolly
Guru
Guru

What to do?

Post by brolly » Sun May 09, 2010 8:35 pm

I have these three Newells with broken bibs and i'm not sure what to do with them.Maybe i could ask a good luremaker to rebib them with as close to the original dimension bibs as possible or even i could have a crack at it myself(that wouldn't be a good idea)and then just put em back in use or should i flog em off as is for whatever i can get.Or maybe just leave em as is.What do you guys think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Re: What to do?

Post by fishaholiclures » Sun May 09, 2010 8:44 pm

droolsmilie droolsmilie droolsmilie droolsmilie
I'd take any scorpion in any condition muhmuh
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 am

Mike,
If you wanted to get them fixed I think Powellys' your man, if he doesn't see this post you could PM him.
Regards, Tony (Wulagi, NT).
"Always merry and bright"

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Mon May 10, 2010 10:25 am

Easy decision I recon. Have them re bibbed (I believe those bibs came from the supplier down the Hunter) and fish them. They will never be 100% original again but as fishing lures they may as well be and picking up some fish, even maybe a black bass on one would be personally satisfing for you.

My first ever barra came on one of those. Makes them even more special to me.

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Mon May 10, 2010 10:53 am

they're your lures mike. but if I owned them I'd keep them as is. they tell a story how they are now. I know that in my collection some of my very favourites are the banged up ones that have bashed rocks & tree stumps their whole life doing what they were made to do...catch fish!
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Mon May 10, 2010 7:24 pm

@ Brolly

If you sell them and the buyer rebibs them and then sells them as a complete Newell that seems wrong (of the buyer). spbx

But not selling them could also prevent the person who would love any Newell in any condition the opportunity to acquire one so it then becomes a "responsibility" to play God and decide who does or doesn't get a lure on the basis of what they might do with it. NONO

Afterall the bib is only part of the package, the shapes and finish are the most dominant factor in what makes them a "Newell". blahblah

However I think ??? you need to retain the lures (shouldn't be a problem for you to hang onto a Newell lol ).

As Rupe said if you got them into this state then they are worthy trophy cabinet additions as is. bowsmilie

Otherwise rebib them and fish them or hang them in your cabinet. I like Alistairs Black Bass idea. yay

They might be worth giving a swim as is to see if they could cut it as a surface lure, leave the front treble off so they are tail heavy and you have two scorpion surface walkers and a skink stickbait. iidiot

Simon

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue May 11, 2010 9:16 am

@brolly

Mike, I reckon they would be difficult to rebib . . . its a hard decision ??? ???

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 am

I change my vote. I'm with simon! Swim em!

topwater walk the dog style fishing sounds perfect!

than retire them with a few more battle scars & stories of your own fish catching abilities to go with them!!!
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Tue May 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Rupe wrote:I change my vote. I'm with simon! Swim em!

topwater walk the dog style fishing sounds perfect!

than retire them with a few more battle scars & stories of your own fish catching abilities to go with them!!!

Ditto what he said, i got just the place to put some battle scars on them thumbsupsmilie Brolly they are still a very nice lure.

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Tue May 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Well guys i've decided to have them rebibbed with as close to original bibs as possible.Sadly when i had a close look at some of my other Scorpions in this model i found two more with cracks in them so i may see about having them rebibbed as well.Not sure whether it was a faulty batch of bibs or possibly the glue used may have made the bibs brittle.Anyway hopefully once refitted i can give em a swim and i might even take them to PNG in July for the ultimate test on some nasty beasts. Mike.

Return to “Newell Lures”