guppy and unknown newells

Newell Lures
Powelly
tradie
tradie

Re: guppy and unknown newells

Post by Powelly » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Well done Brett. Top looking lures.

The tow clips seem a bit futuristic for the time these lures may have been made. I would have thought that the early lures would have soldered gal. wire tow points. Maybe the owner changed them.

I scanned the article, from Modern Fishing (Lures - How to roll your own), the other day. Not sure how we stand, legally, if we post it here.

Should be in Tenterfield in June. Will try to catch up with you, Brett.

Cheers

Travers

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:38 pm

In that Sept 1983 article in Modern Fishing as well as the full shape brass plate in how to make a guppy he also mentioned the fuse wire wrapped and

soldered line tie.Looks like you've got one of those on the other lure.First one I've ever seen apart from the magazine article.

Two absolutely Double Gold lures.Congratulations mate.

Cheers,Jim

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Think perhaps I better not make an offer after my last debacle.

Cheers,Jim

wazza
Expert
Expert

Post by wazza » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Lure-Nut wrote:Wazza ... just looked at the article (wish I could scan it) - Peter mentions that the specs for the plate were :

Quote: "Brass or Copper 1/32" to 1/16" drilled to achieve desired buoyancy. Fewer holes - Sinker. More holes - floater or slow sinker" thumbsupsmilie
Thats the one my copy is from "easy Fishing" magazine (no longer published) so i will scan it tomorrow and post it.
warren

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:26 am

Looking at that bottom lure again, and comparing it to my early 80's blanks I reckon it's definitely a deep Big 'O' Type and Jim is right, it looks like it's not only got the plate but the fuse wire wrapped towpoint. Futher, in the article there is a picture of a Guppy with a paint job very, very similar to these. I'd say this is a stunning early Newell find and the best $20 ever spent bowsmilie bowsmilie
Cheers Rob

bdowdy
Expert
Expert

Post by bdowdy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:04 pm

two-bob wrote:You beat me to it Rob. I remember seeing that lure somewhere and it is in that article mentioned.

Brett, what you called a strip should actually be the full profile side on of the lure. Can you tell us if it is a sinking/floating lure? I would love to find one of these old Newell's made this way. Sounds like rocking horse poo would be easier. Makes it even a greater find.
the lures are both floaters..and yes the shad one has wire wrapped around the towpoint,,id say the other one has broke on the guppy and been replaced...sounds like i have got a great buy..thanks all thumbsupsmilie yay yay

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:32 pm

Happy to help Brett.

I believe all information should be public knowledge (even if it creates more competition for me) and hate the "secret squirrel stuff"

Actually only trying to stir up more interest in lure collecting so that the value of my "super fund" keeps rising lol lol lol

Cheers,Jim

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Post by Powelly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:41 pm

Lure-Nut wrote:Looking at that bottom lure again, and comparing it to my early 80's blanks I reckon it's definitely a deep Big 'O' Type and Jim is right, it looks like it's not only got the plate but the fuse wire wrapped towpoint. Futher, in the article there is a picture of a Guppy with a paint job very, very similar to these. I'd say this is a stunning early Newell find and the best $20 ever spent bowsmilie bowsmilie
Yep, I'd say definitely Big O type lure. Lucky bugger!! clapclap clapclap

Travers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bdowdy
Expert
Expert

Post by bdowdy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:54 pm

thanks fellas for the help...very appreciated thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

Return to “Newell Lures”