guppy and unknown newells

Newell Lures
bdowdy
Expert
Expert

guppy and unknown newells

Post by bdowdy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:26 am

just picked these 2 lures up from a garage sale...the top one says newell guppy..but nothing seen on the other one...dont know how old they are looks like a metal strip threw the centre of the lure... droolsmilie
015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

two-bob

Re: guppy and unknown newells

Post by two-bob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:28 am

What do you mean by a metal strip? What are the tow points?

The bibs look very thin for Newell's but the Guppy is the right shape and they look to have some age on them. That short one reminds me of one I have seen in Wazza's collection. Perhaps shoot him off an email to ask.

I will double what ever you payed for it at the garage sale lol Even shares dont have that quick a profit!

bdowdy
Expert
Expert

Post by bdowdy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:34 am

hey 2 bob...i just went and saw brett campbell and he said the second one looks like peters shad...he used a metal strip threw the centre of each lure ..looks like brass.. and the bibs are corrugated like his first kadiatchas..so they are old...i picked them up in a tackle box full of flatfish,,celtas,big o,s,and a few metal slugs..crazy crawlers...and bits and peices hooks,sinkers,floats...for 20 bucks..and sorry not for sale nahnah droolsmilie yay yay yay

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:59 am

Brett great "Gold Watch Story" well done. thumbsupsmilie

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Would love to see some other angled pics of them. Another thing learnt about Newell lures, never knew he made any with the belly strip.

$20, well done. I have often thought how good it would be to live in the NewEngland area and target the garage sales. There is alot of wasted time but these rare gems would make you feel bloody good right now I recon thumbsupsmilie

Perhaps I could go as high as 300% on purchase price for them lol

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:03 pm

500% pokeystix lol lol great pickup thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:45 pm

A top pickup. The old style guppy is a great shape and the shad must have some years on it, well done.

wazza
Expert
Expert

Post by wazza » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Peter wrote a article for easy fishing magazine called "Lures-How to roll your own" in wich he explains how to make the lure in two pieces with a brass or copper plate sandwiched in between.The same shaped lures as yours are pictured.
nice pickup brett.
warren

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:23 pm

Wazza ... just looked at the article (wish I could scan it) - Peter mentions that the specs for the plate were :

Quote: "Brass or Copper 1/32" to 1/16" drilled to achieve desired buoyancy. Fewer holes - Sinker. More holes - floater or slow sinker" thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:31 pm

You beat me to it Rob. I remember seeing that lure somewhere and it is in that article mentioned.

Brett, what you called a strip should actually be the full profile side on of the lure. Can you tell us if it is a sinking/floating lure? I would love to find one of these old Newell's made this way. Sounds like rocking horse poo would be easier. Makes it even a greater find.

Return to “Newell Lures”