Modern Newells

Newell Lures
Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Re: Modern Newells

Post by Lure-Nut » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:04 pm

It'd be great to know exactly when Peter made these and I'll see if I can chase that up, but seriously, I think they are just works of art that I'm happy to admire and put in a special place in my nice, but somewhat modest Newell collection .... especially when compared to some of the serious Newell collectors bowsmilie

Not hard to guess, I'm a Deception addict but the 'lure' of being able to appreciate lures such as these, is hard to resist thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:34 am

Lapala,

Just to clarify what I wrote earlier, I thought it would be good to put up some examples.

As far as im aware no scorpion or rellik-doc had lead on the bib to make it turn over for diving purposes.

I had to convince Dad to let me get these old ones out to take photos & show the variations of some of the scorpions produced.

The 2 wooden ones given to Dad by Peter are very different from Dad's RMG scorpions - None of Peter's Scorpions had an oval bib, until Dad did it in the early 90's. They started appearing around 1996-97, AFTER the RMG brand was sold to Halco.

You will see that Peter's scorpions only carried 2 trebles aswell, and pointy bibs.

I've put in a picture of a rellik-doc too. Dad's design, not Peters, and it's never had lead or weight added to the bib either.

As brad (fishaholiclures) said, the lead appendage was on 'oar-gees' & 'custom crafted' lures and probably a lot more!
Progression of the scorpion:
Newell Scorpion - 1995
Newell Scorpion - 1992
Rob Gaden Scorpion - 1993
Halco RMG Scorpion - 1996
DSC04860.JPG
DSC04862.JPG
Full range of urethane RMG 150mm Scorpions
DSC04864.JPG
Timber RMG Rellik-Doc
DSC04861.JPG
DSC04863.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Some very nice lures there Rupe, thanks for sharing them and showing us the comparison between Peter's and Rob's Scorpions thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Nice pics Rupe and some interesting information on the scorion evolution.

@Powelly the grunt/guppy certainly had some changes over the years. Wazza has a picture of one called a "Grunter" which looks more like these ones of yours which also as you say looks like the lure that became a guppy which in turn went on to have anumber of different shapes an bib combinations.

Return to “Newell Lures”