Modern Newells

Newell Lures
Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Modern Newells

Post by Lure-Nut » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Nothing like a bit of Modern Newell History .... here are a very different pair of later model Newells, both in Cedar - a Newell McSea and a very different and large Newell Guppy which resembles a Yellowbelly thumbsupsmilie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Rob

simon bruce
Master
Master

Re: Modern Newells

Post by simon bruce » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:32 pm

An exceptional pair of Newells.

bowsmilie

Simon

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:53 pm

Rob if i leave out the swear words i can't properly describe how awsesome they are. clapclap clapclap clapclap

LaPala
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LaPala » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:43 am

The pair is just simply marvelous. ImageImage

Perfection in one piece. Can't see any weights being added at all. Image

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:19 am

Mike, bugger it...

HOW #$%*&@ AWE#$%*&@SOME ARE THEY, ABSO#$%*&@LUTELY #$%*&@ TOP#$%*&@SHELF bowsmilie bowsmilie bowsmilie

Brad

@Lapala, unlike many other countries lures, I can't think of many timber lures made in Australia that had added weights in the body. Some settled for a weight on the bib like the Custom Crafted and Oargee's so they stayed right side up when cast out, and ready to dive. The majority were shapped to achieve the same result with varying degrees of reliability. Even some of the well known brands needed a rod twitch to roll them over on the belly ready to retreive lol
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

LaPala
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LaPala » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:18 am

fishaholiclures wrote:@Lapala, unlike many other countries lures, I can't think of many timber lures made in Australia that had added weights in the body. Some settled for a weight on the bib like the Custom Crafted and Oargee's so they stayed right side up when cast out, and ready to dive. The majority were shapped to achieve the same result with varying degrees of reliability. Even some of the well known brands needed a rod twitch to roll them over on the belly ready to retreive lol
That is an interesting piece of information Brad. thumbsupsmilie That sure is something uniquely Aussie. I first notice them in the Halco Scorpion and Relik Dog. But I just assumed it was unique to Newell designs. If you say most, than his influence should make him the father of Aussie lures.

I have played with weightless designs of fishing lures and to get them to do what I want sure requires a lot of engineering in balancing out the body profile and width, not to mention be very particular about wood density selection. And even the lexan lip weight has to be taken into account spbx It's a blardy PITA to design.

This is a tiny one (click on pic to see size scale in comparison to my hand, pic is a bit too big so I put it as a link): Image

And here is another one (click to view as this one is rated Mature Audience Only) that I have made recently and the action for lures without a weight is so much livelier. I think I am hooked on this type of lure designs --- the weightless part, not the profile in this particular one hahaha.

Excuse my blasphemy in putting these pics inline with a Newell thread smckin iidiot :

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Obviously awsome Rob. I have the green eyed monster in me just looking at them!

There is some interesting things about them I see, well, to me anyway.

The Guppy has a Lexan bib. Other should be able to confirm but I do believe that the Guppy of that shape was only made with a Metal bib. Looks like you might have a litle gem to go with the Lexan Bibbed Kadaitcha I think thumbsupsmilie

The McSea Scorpion is truely a wonderful lure and any Newell's in bare timber are a cut above, but a McSea, well bugger me thats special. Do you have any idea on the history of the lure? I see that it has the wire hangers instead of the screw eyes which is the normal thing for Peter's later lures with the red eyes. Was it a early made lure finished later or perhaps a later lure made oldschool style? I dont know if I would be able to call it modern or not. Questions that are unlikly to be ever answered.

Very very nice both of them.

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:53 pm

LaPala wrote:That is an interesting piece of information Brad. thumbsupsmilie That sure is something uniquely Aussie. I first notice them in the Halco Scorpion and Relik Dog. But I just assumed it was unique to Newell designs. If you say most, than his influence should make him the father of Aussie lures.
The rellik-doc isnt a Peter Newell design, and most of the Halco scorpions are a long way from the original design by Peter.

Nice lures though Rob - I dont know where you keep tracking them down but I hope you're keeping an eye out for RMG's to send my way!!! thumbsupsmilie yay
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Rob,
Think I read somewhere, Peter made those specials for Vic McCristal sometime in the late 80's.
Would be nice to know the full story and how many were made? Wouldn't think a great number, so making them very scarce indeed.
I'll swap you a mint Eric Moller for it. lol
Regards, Tony (Wulagi, NT).
"Always merry and bright"

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Post by Powelly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:37 pm

Rob

You've got a pair of absolutely fantastic lures. droolsmilie droolsmilie Thanks for sharing them with us. clapclap clapclap

I'd suggest that the Guppy (Peter always used to call this lure the GRUNT) is probably an old blank that Peter has used a lexan bib in.

The photo, below, shows the blanks and carved blanks (I turned 2 of them into lures) that Peter gave me in about 1989/1990. They were old then and, as I've mentioned in a previous post, the Guppy that Peter taught me to make was significantly different to these early Guppys. Pete was playing around with lexan bibs in the early 90's, which may give an indication of your lure's age.

It's difficult to get an exact age of the lures, but somebody may have seen Peter make them - they are certainly unique enough that someone would remember them. I've got a large esky full of my old blanks. A couple of weeks ago I had a look through the esky and pulled out some blanks of lures that I had just started making before I left Tenterfield - I haven't made those lures for 13-14 years, but I pulled some of the blanks out and carved them into lures. This might be what Peter has done - who knows. You've got 2 stunning lures and knowing their age would be 'icing on the cake'.

Thanks, Rob. Stunning lures!!

Cheers

Travers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Newell Lures”