Lexan Kadaitcha

Newell Lures
Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Re: Lexan Kadaitcha

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:13 pm

G'day fella's, got told by a mate that you blokes were talking about polycarb-bidded-Kadiatcha's......Im not sure if i have the first ones ...but must be close. When Harro & I were invited
to fish the "Mulwala Cod Classic" back in 1993 , Peter made 6 for me to take and use during the comp. I suplied the polycarb for him & he made the lures.
They were with clips ( Not the Top-hat staple that are in the others in this topic) old-school , painted totally black at my request , and have a 3rd eye on the underbelly close to the
tail ( yellow dot only ) where he put his initials P.N .....not Newell as it would not have shown up on the black paint. He did the same thing on a few totally black lures that my mate Brian has in his collection .
Anyway i never used mine , but after 2-3 hours of throwing surface lures in and around the willow trees after dark with Harro & Bill Classon , we trolled the open water all the way back to camp
and i gave one to Bill to use for the night trolling. He did use & kept his. I still have mine unused.
As i said earlier.....not sure if they are the first to carry polycarb bibs, but must be close .......Rob
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:53 pm

@Rellik-doc rob

Your black ones certainly sounds like a early variation.

Later Newells seemed to have moved to polycarb but the majority of the kadaitchas stayed with metal. I guess there was an element of using what was available at times but it is interesting that you requested the polycarb bibs so wondering what the reason was.

Simon

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 am

simon bruce wrote:@Rellik-doc rob

Your black ones certainly sounds like a early variation.

Later Newells seemed to have moved to polycarb but the majority of the kadaitchas stayed with metal. I guess there was an element of using what was available at times but it is interesting that you requested the polycarb bibs so wondering what the reason was.

Simon
G'day Simon, one of the reasons i wanted the polycarb bib....i liked lures around 4" - 5" for Cod fishing. Easier for casting on light terminal gear & rod's & reels . And also..Harro did
a bit of research on Mulwala .....phoning people that were catching fish regularly there . The Kovac's , Cockburns & a fella called Mac Pollanti were catching alot on Steve Kovacs lures which were in the 5" body size ( approx ) and carried clear bibs on most models. Seemed like fat bodied lures in that size were the most polular , & the metal bib Kad was around 7" in the old money. Anyway , the theory wasn't tested much....I used 4" Rellik-doc's and Bill's Bugs surface lures & Bill Classon never caught any on the Kad. Well he may have....but not
on that w/end .
Bullrout.....you could have a valid point with the oval-split-ring for aging...but im not aware as to when Peter stoped using them. Maybe he never stopped using them totally.
Rob
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks Rob, very informative and a good insight into the preparation done for fishing that comp.

Bullrout I always associated the oval rings on Newells with an older lure but would also try to look for some other indicators of age like the eyes. But the oval split rings may also have only appeared on ertain styles of lures which means they could extend over a longer period.

All interesting stuff.

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Rellik-doc-rob wrote: I still have mine unused .......Rob

Rob, great info, thanks - any chance of a pic of your's ???
Cheers Rob

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:36 am

Lure-Nut wrote:
Rellik-doc-rob wrote: I still have mine unused .......Rob

Rob, great info, thanks - any chance of a pic of your's ???
G'day Rob.....i'll gladly get the smarter of the 2 Rob Gaden's to put a picture up. Rupe is over for dinner tonight , so i will leave it in his capable hands . No doubt he put picture up tonight...... Rob
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:41 am

Lure-Nut wrote: Rob, great info, thanks - any chance of a pic of your's ???
G'day rob - finally got the censored ing camera to work properly

Here's a few shots of the Kad's made for Dad's trip to Mulwala in both sizes:
DSC04866.JPG
DSC04867.JPG
DSC04869.JPG
They'd almost get mully the mad cow druling if only they had a bit of white on them... cww lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Rob/ Rupe .... excellent looking Lexan Kads and very unique - appreciate seeing the pics clapclap
Cheers Rob

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:55 pm

@rellik-doos rob and rupe, thanks for the photos certainly a unique and distinctive pair of kadaitchas.

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:10 pm

simon bruce wrote:@rellik-doos rob and rupe, thanks for the photos certainly a unique and distinctive pair of kadaitchas.
yeah simon they are unique. not something we collect, as you know, but nice to have up our sleeves for a rainy day!
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

Return to “Newell Lures”