Newell Boney's & Nulla Nulla

Newell Lures
Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Newell Boney's & Nulla Nulla

Post by Lure-Nut » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Some recent Newell additions that I would appreciate some advice on .... they are 2 Newell Boney's that are different, one looks older than the other, but did the shape change, the newer one is longer and thinner. The other is a Nulla Nulla which looks very similar to the bigger Boney, maybe a little wider, a little longer, has twisted wire hangers but I can't find it mentioned anywhere on the site or the web - any other Nulla Nulla's out there ???

Any information would be appreciated thumbsupsmilie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Rob

simon bruce
Master
Master

Re: Newell Boney's & Nulla Nulla

Post by simon bruce » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:13 pm

@lure-nut

I think the Nulla-nulla preceded the Boney, there are a couple of sizes in the Nulla Nulla.

Other than that all I know is that you have three fantastic lures there, well done.

Simon

wazza
Expert
Expert

Post by wazza » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Simon is correct the nulla nulla preceded the boney and if i am not mistaken the small wide boney you have pictured is one of the special boneys peter made for himself to use in our one lure competitions, I am pretty sure there were only 6 of them made, I was given two of them but have since passed one on. A friend has one also and with yours that makes 4 and i think Kathy may have no.5.
warren

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:51 pm

Very nice Rob. I have a new Boney on card with a Tenterfield paddler I picked up yesterday still in the glovebox. It is the same as the longer one. That short one looks very nice. Another one you have over many of us.

By the way, I met your recent Deception contact yesterday. Might have to find out where he sold that Yabby to undercut you seeming you have all these sweet Newells now lol

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Lure-Nut wrote:Some recent Newell additions that I would appreciate some advice on .... they are 2 Newell Boney's that are different, one looks older than the other, but did the shape change, the newer one is longer and thinner. The other is a Nulla Nulla which looks very similar to the bigger Boney, maybe a little wider, a little longer, has twisted wire hangers but I can't find it mentioned anywhere on the site or the web - any other Nulla Nulla's out there ???

Any information would be appreciated thumbsupsmilie
Ah yes,Nulla Nulla's & Boney's these appear to be a just like a lot of other Newells and have some shape and size variations associated with different eras.Certainly the most prominant tell tale sign of age/era is the eyes as is the case with most Newells.Generally speaking if the lure has the red and silver metalic eyes it would be somewhat newer than the ones with the large white or off white eyes with the large off set black pupil. Which in turn would be a later model than the large centralised black pupil on white or yellow.I know this is not ALWAYS the case but is a good general guide.Next we have tow points and hook hangers which also generally depict age and era. We've all seen several variations in tow points especially on Kadaitchas well this is also the case with several other Newells but lets just deal with the Nulla Nullas and the Boneys. The Nulla Nullas i've seen have either the luxon clips or the home bent gal staple tow point where as the Boneys appear to all have pre made stainless staple tow points.Hook hangers on all the Nulla Nullas i've seen are twisted gal wire which clearly tells us as Simon mentioned in a previous post that they were made before the Boney.Now the hook hangers on the Boney appear to have always been screw in hangers which may explain why the Boney appears to be an identical shape to the larger of the common three sizes in the Nulla Nulla except it has a fatter tail to accomadate the thicker screw in hanger.So from all this i believe the Boney replaced the larger Nulla Nulla but was given a smaller bib possibly to enhance it's flexability as a saltwater as well as freshwater lure.(my thoughts only)As for the size/variations in Rob's Boneys i just except that is what luremakers do from time to time just to give us collectors something to quetion? Here's a few pics of my Nulla Nullas which i have made little or no attempt to clean up where the price tag fell off the bibs and a pic of a few Boneys as well as a pic showing the similarity between the Boney (fatter tale) and the larger Nulla Nulla. Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:18 pm

Mike

there is some awesome info there, also Wazza for the clarification on the special Boney.

Makes Robs pick up all the more special.

Simon

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:05 am

Seriously take my hat of to the guys above for the excellent infomation clapclap

Brolly and Wazza .... your knowledge in this area far surpasses mine, however I'm always eager to learn. Wazza, given my knowledge of the heritage of the smaller Boney, I think your spot on with your assessment. Must say it makes it all the more special understanding the history of a lure, especially when this one appears to be such a special purpose limited production model ... many thanks guys thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:05 am

Rob, looking at that small Boney, the lower profile flatter head and the eyes really remind me of that green scorpion Peter made. (that Wazza has the other one of).

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:32 am

two-bob wrote:Rob, looking at that small Boney, the lower profile flatter head and the eyes really remind me of that green scorpion Peter made. (that Wazza has the other one of).
Alistair .... interestingly I reckon the larger Boney is the exact colour match to the big green Scorpion that you winkled out of me -duh then again I couldn't live without my Deception Hat Rack droolsmilie

I presuming that's the one you mention above - wondered who had the other one lol lol thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:43 am

I think you may be right. A blend between your 2 Boneys I think.
Green Scorpion Head.JPG
And Yes, I am sure you are not surprized Wazza has the other one. Wonder if he wants to sell lol it

Return to “Newell Lures”