Piece of Newell History

Newell Lures
Powelly
tradie
tradie

Re: Piece of Newell History

Post by Powelly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:39 am

Rob

I may be wrong, but I have a vague, distant memory of a lure making article in one of the fishing magazines, 30 odd years ago, that I think Peter wrote - I'm sure the 'chin minnow' was the design that was in that article. I don't have any memory of it being called a 'chin minnow' but I do remember that profile (it was one of the reasons why I'm a bit obsessive/compulsive about 'banana' shaped lures).

Before I went to Tenterfield, I read a few articles on Peter's lures and I'm sure the lure making article was his. My distant memory has let me down before, but I do remember an article on lure making with that lure profile in it. Whether Peter wrote it, I'm not sure.

If you find the article, you may be able to get the bib shape.

Hope that doesn't confuse things too much!

Travers

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 pm

Rob, does this look like it do you think. I did a bit of searching through and found this in Wazza's pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:48 am

Yes Alistair ... reckon that looks very like it, must contact Wazza and get some info - maybe Brolly can help, but didn't Peter do some later 'retro' lures in honour of his early stuff ???
Cheers Rob

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:04 am

I am not too sure but that paintjob certainly is a late model paintwork. I do believe Peter did make at times old models on request. This is one of the problem's with putting an ID on some of his lures. Kinda like if Paul did a run of his 1st shape shrimps or flat bottemed ones 5yrs after they evolved. Very confusing crazysmilie

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:48 am

This is a vey old Newell, in fact I'm reliably advised it is one of Peter's first lures ever made .... it is small, has a 60mm body and only 70mm long including the bib which appears to be made of tinplate.

Interestingly, you can start to see some of the lateral and chine lines particularly used in the scorpion range in latter years - a very nice little lure that appears to have a very early place in the Peter Newell history thumbsupsmilie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Rob

Return to “Newell Lures”