Scorpion Variations

Newell Lures
two-bob

Scorpion Variations

Post by two-bob » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:14 am

The Scorpion by Peter has been around since (I think) 1981. Over this time it has been made in many sizes. The smallest I have seen is 35mm and the largest I have seen a pic of is 500mm. There has been a variation in the body shape as well from sharp edged keel to rounded keel and the same goes for the flat sides and sharp belly/chin angle evolving into a more rounded shape.

Here are some of my Scorpions that show a number of different variations and sizes (I put my 2 big ones in because I have not shown them off yet yay . They were made for pelagic trolling. 6 I believe made, 3 left in existance)

Whilst the bibbed version, which came in a number of types as well (4 can be seen here) was the main type Peter also made a limited number in others such as can be found elsewhere on the site in Walk the dog, paddler, popper and fizzer variations.

Please put up you Scorpions so we can see how many evolutions this iconic lure has been through thumbsupsmilie

Scorpion Variations.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Re: Scorpion Variations

Post by Powelly » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Very impressive collection of Scorpions, Alistair.

I think I've posted this picture somewhere, previously, but it does highlight the variety of shapes and sizes of the Scorpion.

The Scorpions on the left are lures that Peter gave me - as completed lures. The little ones are 5cm and, from memory, may have come from the Newell/Bennet association - I remember the little pointy 'green' bibs were from the same material as the Merlin bibs.

The other Scorpions I made from carved blanks that Peter gave me. Many of them were painted by Peter.

Cheers

Travers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:12 am

Some nice Scorpions there Travers. Do you know why Peter moved to a more rounded edged shape? I think I like those old sharp edged ones myself. They just say "hand carved timber' to me and I like their lines.

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:19 am

Interestingly .... as famous the Kadaitcha is, I'm of the view that the Scorpion shape was the lure that spawned an enormous range of lures that can be used in nearly any fishing situation, at any speed and used for targeting anything from trout in creeks to marlin off the shelf - Peter Newell's legacy with the Scorpion simply cannot be overestimated .... IMHO thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:23 am

I agree Rob. Before I started to collect them for them, I never had a Kadaitcha. Had plenty of Scorpions though to chase Cod, Yellas, Jacks and Barra to name a few. It really is a lure that can be used for many species. It is my favorite out of the Newell range,

Now I want my snagged ones back -duh

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Post by Powelly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 am

two-bob wrote:Some nice Scorpions there Travers. Do you know why Peter moved to a more rounded edged shape? I think I like those old sharp edged ones myself. They just say "hand carved timber' to me and I like their lines.
Alistair, I've got no idea why Pete varied the shape so much.

The more rounded lures are certainly sleeker, which may have been better for fast trolling - just guessing, though.

I'm with you, I like the deep vee and tight girth belted ones - ie. traditional shape. But the long, sleek blue Scorpion looks 'fast'!

The three tiny Scorpions in the botom/middle are ones that I carved. It was a bit of a novelty, at the time, to do them that small - they are great on trout and bream. When I make them, I do them in the 'back-to-back' blank format. I only make them for my personal use. I'm not sure if Peter ever went ahead with his own 2" Scorpions, but I'm sure someone will know.

Cheers

Travers

Schultzy
Expert
Expert

Post by Schultzy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Travers,

Yes indeed, Pete did make 2" Scorpions. Actually a whisker smaller than 2".

They look a lot like this. thumbsupsmilie
Tiny Scorpions.jpg
If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Image Image ImageImage

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:36 pm

beautys of lures and i agree the scorpion would be in my book have more of an impact on my memory than any other lure, the shape was just amazing clapclap

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:50 am

Yes Guy's agree, in fact I thought, (as only a barra fisherman would) that the Scorpion should have made Franks Top10 before the Kadaitcha.
Due to its more general species appeal, which I assumed was the aim of the Top10.
Forgive my bias.
Regards, Tony (Wulagi,NT).
"Always merry and bright"

Stephen Booth
Expert
Expert

Post by Stephen Booth » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:33 am

Awesome range of Scorps, they are nice, nice, nice.

And don't worry about bias, that's what creates such interesting topics and great debates, which I reckon was Frank's ultimate aim - to get everyone to think about their Top 10.

Return to “Newell Lures”