Gudebrod?

Use search function in this area for faster help
Forum rules
HERE WE TRY AND IDENTIFY LURES COMPARE LURE SIMILARITY'S AND MUCH MORE GREAT PLACE TO LEARN TO DISTINGUISH AND ID LURES PROPERLY....

Gudebrod?

Postby samlovesfish » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:13 pm

Gudebrod.JPG

I came across this the other day and was told it was a Gudebrod Goldeneye.
Has anyone got any info on it for me ???

Cheers
Sam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
samlovesfish
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Gudebrod?

Postby eyeconbarra » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi Sam,

What a coincidence, I only joined the forum yesterday and I have about 8 of those same lures in various colours which I purchased from a Lounds Pro Tackle in Townsville (now just Pro Tackle) when I was a teenager (a long time ago!). Hope someone can shed some light on it as I have been racking my brain but it's just too long ago. Yours looks to be in mint condition, have you had it long ?, I doubt whether they have been made for a while looking at the hook arrangements straight off the hangers. They swim pretty nicely and I can recall some nice cooktown/blue salmon being fond of the pink colour.

John
eyeconbarra
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby samlovesfish » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi John

I've had it for a while now, I know it's pretty old but I don't know much about it and yes it is in mint.
Would love to see a pic of your gude's.

Cheers
Sam
samlovesfish
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby rivermandave » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:54 am

I don't believe that your lure is a Gudebrod Sam...check this pic of a few I sold fall of last year...and notice the 3 red gill marks.

I have yet to see these without them....but then again...that doesn't mean it didn't happen crazysmilie lol

Also notice the difference in the angle and length of the lip ??? cww
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rivermandave

Postby samlovesfish » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks Dave, I notice yours have split rings, you may find this pre-dates them a little.

Cheers,
Sam
samlovesfish
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby eyeconbarra » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:23 am

Hi Sam,

Not sure if this will help or further confuse. The photo is of my "collection" of Gudebrods ???? Might not show it too well but out of all of them only the silver/red and grey/white have the 3 red gill stripes. I purchased the lot from the same little tackle store in Townsville around the same time. I would be surprised if they had multiple brands that similar but the who can be certain, I know I don't have a clue.

Lures 80s (Copy) (Copy).JPG

John
eyeconbarra
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby samlovesfish » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Nice Lures John, thank for posting them.

This is an old Gudebrod ad from Field and Stream Magazine- May 1969. The ad was also in at least one issue in 1968.
feild and stream may 1969.JPG

feild and stream may 1969..JPG

This would suggest that the Maverick's were on sale as early as 1966 and explain the bib angle differences.

My lure was bought in the States in the fall of 1967 buy a keen fisho on his honeymoon.... (brave man that one) lol

I think I might keep this one.
yay lol lol yay

Cheers
Sam
samlovesfish
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby eyeconbarra » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Nice work Sam, quite the detective thumbsupsmilie , case closed.
You've convinced me, so we have some Gudebrod Goldeneye Mavericks - quite a mouthful . The Maverick part actually rings a bell with me.
Mine have alternated between the bottom tray of the tacklebox and the dark recesses of my storeroom for the last 30 years, so I think I might give them a quick photo session and try and find them a new owner in the not too distant future.
Especially like the promo material you dug up, I tried a search and came up empty, so thanks for sharing.

John
eyeconbarra
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby eyeconbarra » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Gudebrod cleanup
eyeconbarra
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby eyeconbarra » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Gudebrod cleanup now complete.

After cleaning up the lures noticed that some of the other patterns do also share the 3 gill stripes. the orange has 3 orange gill stripes, pink has pink gills, green has green gill stripes- just a lot harder to see than the red on the others. Maybe it's just a pattern difference where the darker block colours missed out -all still mavericks just a slightly different suit.

John
eyeconbarra
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Next

Return to FISHING LURE IDENTIFICATION ,HELP, COMPARISONS,CROSS REFERENCE