Post by handbrake » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:19 pm

Great photos Rob, thank you for sharing your trip. Debbie D

cavalier
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Fishing in Thailand June 2013

Post by cavalier » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi,

Amazing catches. I had a similar experience fishing at Bungsamran & Pilot near Bangkok. Landed 32 fishes over eight hours. Ranging from 12 Kg to 42 Kgs. Mostly Mekong Catfish, Chao Praya catfish & a few Siamese carps. The ponds are well stocked & a strict catch & release plan was in force.
Regards
Cavalier

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:21 am

cavalier wrote:Hi,

Amazing catches. I had a similar experience fishing at Bungsamran & Pilot near Bangkok. Landed 32 fishes over eight hours. Ranging from 12 Kg to 42 Kgs. Mostly Mekong Catfish, Chao Praya catfish & a few Siamese carps. The ponds are well stocked & a strict catch & release plan was in force.
Regards
Cavalier
G'day Cavalier , sounds like you had a great trip as well. I have heard of both of those places but never been to or seen either of them. They are around Bangkok area aren't they ?

I ran into a bloke who used to guide on one of those lakes and said he had put clients onto 100kg Catfish. Seemed like a pretty honest sort of bloke , so I dont doubt him.

Thailand has some great fishing and my favourite area was around Kanchanaburi & Kao Laem dam in the west. Saw quite a lot of Snake-head there , but did not get one. Maybe in oct/nov.

RDR
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

Flicker
Expert
Expert
Mood:

Post by Flicker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:52 pm

great post Rob and I can see why you are going back for more. and not catching a snake head. were any lures used on the trip ???
Cheers
Adam (Sniper Lures)

cavalier
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by cavalier » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi,

I too had a superb trip to Thailand with some amazing fishing thrown in. Most of the pics seen above, are of fishes caught in captive fishing ponds where the trophy fish are bred & kept for us anglers to catch. Its strictly "Catch & release" . Having said that, I tried in the open areas & there were very few fish left. I went jigging around Krabi & caught a few croakers. Speaking to the fishermen there, I learnt that the Thai's have cleaned out the seas near their country with "Disco"(Very fine) nets. Their boats are now fishing as far as the Indian coast for fish.
Regards
Cavalier

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:26 am

cavalier wrote:Hi,

I too had a superb trip to Thailand with some amazing fishing thrown in. Most of the pics seen above, are of fishes caught in captive fishing ponds where the trophy fish are bred & kept for us anglers to catch. Its strictly "Catch & release" . Having said that, I tried in the open areas & there were very few fish left. I went jigging around Krabi & caught a few croakers. Speaking to the fishermen there, I learnt that the Thai's have cleaned out the seas near their country with "Disco"(Very fine) nets. Their boats are now fishing as far as the Indian coast for fish.
Regards
Cavalier
Cavalier ,

Gotta dis-agree with some of your comments , that was my 23rd trip to thailand , and been fishing on most of those trips. A total of 190 fish were caught during the last trip , and I only fished for 14 of the 33 days. Some of the fish were caught in privately owned lakes , and visited 1 fishing park , where you pay to fish. I guess it was similar to the one you went to at Bungsaman.
On the private property that I fished , I certainly did give the owners some money and arrived with gifts for the family in most cases. No different to the fishing I have done in Australia on private property , I never arrive empty handed. The thai people are much poorer and needier than me , I never think twice about giving them something to help out , and money is the best help . They can buy what they need , instead of receiving useless trinkets from a Farang.
We caught plenty of fish in the river Kwai , around Kanchanaburi aswell , mainly catfish and carp , plus some small cod/groper type fish. It is tidal affected , and from what I saw , the foriegners trying to fish..... had absolutely NO concept or idea about fishing to the tidal conditions. We caught plenty of fish in lake Kao Liam aswell , and if they are captive fish , I am a monkeys uncle. Lake Kao Liam is 8 times bigger than Sydney Harbour..... hardly captive.
On other trips fishing around the coast of Phuket , and in the Andaman sea and Gulf of Thailand ( between Krabi "Koh Lanta" & Phuket ).... I have caught more than my share of fish. These include 3 Sailfish , Makerell up to 20kg , numerous other pelagics , and so many good size reef fish it would be hard to put a number on them. Trolling lures in those waters of the gulf , and off the coast of Rachi Yai island has always produced at least 1 billfish each trip , plus plenty of makerell , and Frigates in the 2-4 kg range. Absolutely NO shortage of fish.
The waters are so rich with nutrients , that the Squid fishery is probably the largest in the world. On an over-night , on board boat trip last february , I lost count at 200 plus squid boats working within eye sight of our boat. That is surely evidence itself of the rich waters , and the explanation of good billfish numbers in those waters.
Krabi is an old fishing port/area , and has sustained plenty of pressure over time. But I have an expat mate there who owns a 6 metre ocean safe boat and fishes a few days a week on the reefs ( Under sea volcanoes) ....we have always got quality fish . Admittedly he has got sonar / sounder equipment , and probably better fishing rods and reels. It is maily bait fishing over the reefs , and catching fresh squid is easy. Fresh bait is no secret , but alot of people forget about the benifits. The locals , unfortunately dont use much ice , or none to keep fish or bait fresh. Traditionally this is the norm.
As an example of how good the Thai fishery is , this is the second year that Shimano have taken their major clients to the Gulf for their annual bonus fishing trip. Targeting mainly billfish. Freshwater fishing in Northern Thailand is still rewarding , but most Farang/tourist only see what you obviously saw & did. I personally see NO problem with the "Pay to fish "programs or stocked lakes. An ex-guide form one of these opperations told me that it was sometimes harder to catch fish in these places as the fish were very cunning and educated to the offerings of the anglers.
Regardless of all of the above...... Fishing is fishing , and I am happy to promote fishing in Thailand as an alternative to Australia. Get a passport , catch some exotics not available in our own country , enjoy the culture and food that Thailand can offer and support the very poor people from the "Land of smiles ".

RDR
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks for the PM..... Mr: detective.

I said I had almost 20 trips in the past 4 - 5 years to Thailand.

However , I had 4 trips to Thailand in 2003 / 2004 , while I lived in Darwin. These trips were with strict instructions from my wife "No fishing" !

I was unaware that this was an interegation clapclap clapclap

RDR
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

cavalier
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by cavalier » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Apologies, I stand corrected. Guess I was fishing at the wrong spots. The rivers were full of fish as seen on the Mekong & Chao Praya.We were using very basic borrowed equipment & using local guides. No fish finder, etc. I was talking about the sea fishing around Krabi & Phi Phi in general & not about the whole of Thailand. The fishermen around Krabi stated that these areas had very little fish left after sustained fishing. The Sport fishing for bill fishes tends to be closer to the Indian islands of the Andamans. In season, you have a large number of Thai sport fishing boats operating from Port Blair in the Andamans.

The locals were extremely nice & the trip was a memorable one.No offence intended.
Regards
Cavalier

Return to “FRESHWATER HARDBODY LURES YOUR CATCHES Fishing pictures”