Nice Tassie trout on a Jitterbug

MXB
Master
Master

Nice Tassie trout on a Jitterbug

Post by MXB » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:18 am

Hi all . . .

Well this was a satisfying catch on my recent trip to Tassie not having caught a trout on a Jitterbug for many years. So I said to Tyenna Dave before the trip that I would like to do some night surface fishing with poppers. This was the result with a big buck smashing it off the surface. The previous night I had been smashed up after hooking a fish about the same size that managed to take my home made popper and clear a boulder in one foul swoop. Snap and lots it. A big thank you to Dave for the photos as it was slightly chaotic landing and releasing the fish. Weight approx 3kg or about 6.5-7lb. I will always remember the comment from Dave on hookup - 'there it is, plugging away with the Jitterbug'. Caught on old school Perch colour Jitterbug in larger size;

A big solid buck - love it when a plan comes together

Released for another day

MXB
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Re: Nice Tassie trout on a Jitterbug

Post by diemai » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:10 pm

@ MXB

................big congrats on that outstanding fish , Roger , some real nice piccies , too thumbsupsmilie !

Never knew , that trout would also strike at nighttime(probably nobody ever tried over here to write about it) , ...live and learn !

And I reckon , that it also isn't the usual case that they'd take "Jitterbugs" , do they ?

Occassionally I had tried very the smallest poppers I could get on local pond stocker trout , ....but at daytime , off course , .......but I've never been lucky enough for a strike , .......probably one just can't compare , also these stockers are smaller , ............ up to 4 pounds , average 1 pound , ...maybe .

Thanks a lot for sharing , .....tight lines , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks Dieter . . .

Bigger trout will take Jitterbugs at night - they will take them for small bats, large struggling insects or small animals I suppose.
They are renowned in certain areas for catching large trophy trout - New England (Armidale) and Tasmania to name a couple.
Your stocked trout probably wouldn't attack big J/Bugs but might in a smaller size - worked super slow. Same with smaller poppers and sliders at night
Never know until you try it
Fun too

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:14 am

@ MXB

Thanks , Roger , ...will do more thoroughly next season , ....ponds are iced up(melting yet , but the next chill is already forecast) , no lurefishing from January 1st until May1st , anyway !

Have those small poppers of yours and also a small walking bait , .......I shall see !

Cheers , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Mzuri3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mzuri3 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:26 pm

MXB absolutely outstanding, the master at his best. clapclap thumbsupsmilie droolsmilie

Congratulations

Rob

Return to “FRESHWATER HARDBODY LURES YOUR CATCHES Fishing pictures”