Absolutely unexpected catch of today .

diemai
Master
Master

Re: Absolutely unexpected catch of today .

Post by diemai » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:13 am

Mzuri3 wrote:Congratulations on the catch of nice trout Diemai, what unusual specimen is going to turn up next? clapclap ???

It's great your home made lures are producing the goods, just proves how effective they are. thumbsupsmilie

As for the pike, if you aren't using scent, perhaps you can give that a go, if not, try a huge rabbit fur fly in a Leech pattern? Usually something worked slowly in front of shut down fish may produce a strike.

Well, it works down south of the equator, so it's worth giving anything a go.

Worse comes to worse, you appear to be pretty handy with a slingshot lol lol

Tight Lines

Robin

I have one or two weird pike flies somewhere , ...got them through lure trades , but never used them , ...should really pack one into my tacklebag , I guess .

And .....don't laugh , ...still being a teenage boy , I've really shot a big pike with a slingshot once , ....did not kill it , but obviously knocked it unconscious for a little while .

Me and my friend were strolling a gravel pit near a neighbor town , it was a sunny October day , ......standing on a sort of higher cliff above the water's surface we suddenly spotted two huge pike sunbathing in a shallow bay and started to shoot at them at about 20 or 25 metres distance , just to chase them up . .......but my first pebble impacted the water right above the head of one of the pike , so pretty soon it turned over and swam belly up , ...the second pike was gone immediately , off course .

We were thinking about how to quickly access that fish to pull it out , due to summer swims we were familiar to that lake , .......the bay was shallow enough to strip down our pants and boots and wade through , .......but it was October , we've already had freeze at night , thus the water was pretty cold already , just normal for that season , ......so before we could finally make up our minds whether to get ourselves wet or not , the fish recovered after a little while and slowly swam away into the deep !

Surely won't try this today anymore , it is illegal anyway , ...but country boys don't bother lol !

PS :

The next "unusual" species would hopefully be a salmon or seatrout , ......I've joined another fishing club back in summer , where I have access to two smaller feeder rivers of the big Elbe stream , these fish are moving into these small feeders , ....they're still rare , but one always has the chances of hooking one .

Also a silure(European catfish) is still on my "wanted" list , ....all these species are coming back into the Elbe systems , as the immense upstream water polution by the former communist part of Germany and former Tschechoslovakia has stopped for 20 years now !

I remember being a boy the river right downstream the Geesthacht dam looked like a bathtub full of foam sometimes and eel in there had large so-called cauliflower tumors growing out of their heads and bodies , ......the most bravest anglers taking a fish home for the pan would only sense an oily smell in the kitchen and the fish in the pan would swim in a strange looking liquid graced in all rainbow colors , just like a puddle of petrol on a wet tar road !

Only the toughest of species did still survive the Elbe river back then , ........but now times have changed for good , luckily thumbsupsmilie !

cheers , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Mzuri3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mzuri3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:03 pm

G'day Diemai

It would have been fun with the slingshots on the pike, they are illegal in Victoria, my location in Australia, if only I resided in Queensland as the rednecks up there haven't outlawed them as yet. You are extremely lucky to have had some fun with them in your younger years.

I do wish you luck in hooking a sea trout and salmon, it's always great to have the opportunity to hook a new species.

Silure (European Catfish), how large do they grow? Do you also get 'Wels' in Germany?

Will you be using really smelly artificial baits, or real bait when targeting them?

I love catching catfish, they sure can fight, and pretty good on the plate too.

It's great to hear that your local waterways are recovering from years of neglect, and I chuckled regarding your comments on the rainbow coloured liquid when cooking em in a pan. lol

Years ago, I recall my sister bringing home buckets of yabbies (local freshwater crayfish), she was so proud that she had caught them, and locally too. I quizzed her about the location that she had caught them, as they were dark chocolate in colour, almost black, which isn't the normal colouring in my area.

Well, they were boiled as soon as she arrived, as we were all eager to try them, but I was terribly disappointed when I ate the first, and wasn't looking forward to eating a third after the second. They were terribly gritty with a weird taste, and a few weeks later when she revealed her fishing location that I found out that Fisheries had released a warning in their booklet to advise that the waterway was contaminated with PCBs (chemicals), and not to eat anything found in it. zippedsmilie -duh

As you may guess, my sister stopped catching them after that, and we all refused to eat them.

Tight Lines
Robin

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:02 pm

@ Mzuri3

This PCB stuff also was a big problem in our local river Elbe , .....it's still contaminated , ......but to a much , much lower level , so one can eat it's fish again and also take a swim in summer .

The European silure is called "Wels" in northern Germany , the southerners name it "Waller" , the zoological Latin name is "Siluris Glanis" .

It is our biggest freshwater fish , ........not quite sure , but I guess , German record catches are at about 290 cms in length , .......made down southern Germany , were they are much more common .

In southern Europe silures still grow bigger , there are tourist angling camps located at the Spanish river Ebro and the Italian river Po and elsewhere , anglers from northern Europe , particular from Germany and the UK , I guess , go down there for the catch of a lifetime .

I'd be satisfied with a smallie of 100 to 150cms , ...cant't handle any bigger ones with the average pike gear , anyway lol .

I won't do bait fishing on them , ....only hoping to get one as a bycatch some day , they also take any kind of lures , .........poppers in summer would be a good choice , I guess , ......in southeastern Europe they have a special wooden device looking a bit like a boomerang with a small offset disc on the bottom end , ........you'd hold it overboard and smack that disc end on the water's surface to let the silure come by to investigate that noise and finally find the bait at boatside , ...they can't see very well , but all of their others senses are pretty sharp .

Just two years ago a workmate told me a story , that he whitnessed one guy letting his tiny dog swim in the Elbe river , not that far from my hometown , ......suddenly that dog was gone , .......bigger silure are known to pick mammals , ducks and similar off the surface .

Here is one of those(just a tad smaller lol ) river monsters :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-jTsz18 ... re=related

Would have loved writing more , ...but gotta be off to lateshift right now zippedsmilie , .......Cheers , Dieter howdy

Mzuri3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mzuri3 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Thankyou for the interesting info Diemai, and boy, what a fight,that huge catfish in the video was unreal. Now I understand why they go land based in Spain.

I do wish you the best in catching one, and don't forget to film the battle.

thumbsupsmilie

Regards

Robin

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Mzuri3 wrote:Thankyou for the interesting info Diemai, and boy, what a fight,that huge catfish in the video was unreal. Now I understand why they go land based in Spain.

I do wish you the best in catching one, and don't forget to film the battle.

thumbsupsmilie

Regards

Robin

Thanks , mate , ......but you're wrong about going landbased entirely , ........to build up your rods and fishing camp it's far better on the bank , no doubt about that , ........very hard to spend long hours or even several days in a small , uncomfortable boat , ........and it takes days sometimes to hook a real river monster , ...they just won't count "average" silure less than 200cms as a success -duh !

BUT , .......once the fish is hooked , its is far better to rapidly enter a readily tied up boat to battle the fish in open and deeper water , ....when freshly hooked , one simply cannot control such giant fish and heaps of obstacles in shallower water or straight at the bank are likely to snap your line or the fish would just dig into them ,...... impossible to get it free again landbased , .......a boat really rings your chances to finally capture the giants !

BTW , ......most European carp anglers also use more or less small inflatable boats for same purpose , .....fishing from dry land but playing the hooked fish from that boat in open water , ...one cannot gain full control over a 20 , 30 or even 40 lbs. carp as well when freshly hooked , ....and they surely are attracted by ANY obstacles in the water to dash into , believe me , ........also the boat is pretty useful to bring out chum for the carp !

off to lateshift again , mate , ......greetz , Dieter howdy

Return to “FRESHWATER HARDBODY LURES YOUR CATCHES Fishing pictures”