maybe 1st kadicha

jddyson
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

maybe 1st kadicha

Post by jddyson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:38 am

Hello to all you fishing and lure enthuiests , my name is J.D. and I currently live in Cambodia.

While searching the fishing forums , I came across your interesting site. So much so , that I have been on this damn computer most of the day.

I lived and worked in Armidale , northern nsw , known as the tablelands back then , as a policeman from late 82 - 86. My fishing in those days was mostly at Copeton dam and Keepit dam just out of Manilla. But at 70 odd , it is only occasional now days , and also not alot of fishing variety available over here. I left the force to help a mate set up a major security business in Singapore , then married a Cami lady , moved here and started my own security business.

While in Armidale I lived in a police house provided as part of my promotional transfer from the western suburbs of Sydney. This could interest a few of you lure collectors. The police housing did renovations to our house to accomodate my 5 children at the time , not long after we arrived in Armidale. One of the tradesmen who worked on the additions was a young bricklayer called Rob Gayden , from glen innes. While chewing the fat with him one afternoon about fishing , he told me stories of massive Cod he been catching in the gorges around the severn river. I had reason to doubt his claims , except his workmates confirmed what he had told me , and added more to his young but legendary Cod catching ability. Further questioning about the fishing revealed that he caught his fish with his home made wood lures, so I asked if he would make me some. No problem was the reply , $8 each. I parted with $40 and the lures were brought back the following week when they returned to finish the bricklaying.

The lures were called deep dans , he told me named after his nephew. I got my first really big Cod on one of them not long after ( around 35lbs ) and still have an old polaroid of it around here somewhere hanging from the clothline. Caught plenty more on the deep dans during those years and probably still would.

A few years later I met another fellow copper , peter newel , who had worked in Inverell and at this time was working in tenterfield who was also a keen angler . He also fiddled around making a few wood lures , but mostly copies of american styles. I told him about the deep dan lure and asked if he could copy a few for me. This time , no money needed , only a bottle of rum for 3 or 4 lures.

A call from peter , 2 or 3 weeks later and the lures were sent to me by the "Blue light taxi". A term we coppers used for hyway patrol deliveries. These lures were a bit fatter than the deep dams , but worked extremely well. I still have at least 1 of those , and maybe 2 at my daughters house back in australia stored with a few rods and reels that I left in her care. After reading some of the information on this site I notice alot of you talk about the signatures , well the lures that peter made for me had no writing on them. But the Rob Gayden lures did clearly say Deep dan on the underside. I have no doubt that the lures peter made for me are now known as Kadicha lures , but they were nameless back then. Or if you like , Fat Deep dans.

Money is not something that concerns me , as I have done pretty well for myself and live a very comfortable life. I can see that my lures are definately worth more than the bottle of Bundy that they cost me.

By the way , a very well set up forum and user freindly for old search and destroy keyboard attackers like myself.

Thanks Dyso (JD)

Flicker
Expert
Expert
Mood:

Re: maybe 1st kadicha

Post by Flicker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 pm

a great read JD thumbsupsmilie and welcome
Cheers
Adam (Sniper Lures)

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Would love to see some pics. Would be happy to give you the $8 for each deep Dan...even if they're used. Just feeling generous I guess lol
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:32 am

bullrout22 wrote:I have been reading a lot of RMG post's to help me with this reply if you know of a post that has a earlier date please let me know
When Deep Dan's where made the years I have found so far are from App 1984

Also I have been trying to find some information on when Peter Newell started to make his Kadaitcha lures he was making them in 1984 also this is the information I have waiting for more I will add it as soon as I get it,if you know earlier date please let me know
Dave , was making the Deep-dan's before 1984 , but many variations of size & bibs. A master of the best one ( the one I thought was the best anyway ) ..... was made in 1984.

I dont remember this bloke "JD" , but at this stage...... I can't confirm or deny it happened. Sold heaps of lures to heaps of blokes over the years , and to anyone really who had the money to buy them. I made lures for my own use ...& for extra cash , not for hanging on walls or to be put in cabinets. My deep-dans were my attempt at making a Flatfish or Quickfish shape lure which was very popular amongst the cod fisherman of that period , but did not get to the depth that I want. There was no genius design involved ....... or anything similar , just a timber copy of an existing shape made from plastic on the other side of the world.
Searching this.... or any other forums on lures will only give you the information that others are willing to post or share , but there is alot of information that people either do not want to share..... or have reasons not to post on public web-sites. That is why you only have dates as far back as 1984 on the deep-dans. Rod Harrison will confirm that he had seen and bought Deep-dans in a pub at Emmaville before 1984 , and after interigating the publican....... got in touch with me. We met soon after , and became very good friends and fished together regularly all over australia for many years. He is not hard to get in touch with...... and I guess someone on this forum will do exactly that. Contact him and confirm....rather than take my word for it.

RDR.
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:32 am

Dave , very interesting...... who is the well known lure maker that said peter was making the Kadiatcha in the 70's ?

If that is correct , why is there none in the lure making article on his lures published in 1984-5 ? Only minnows ..... you would have to think it would be there.

thanks... RDR
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:41 am

Dave , "Bullrout".... Yes the article is the 1983 one you mentioned. I looked at mine last night , and realised it was not 1984.

Just a few questions about your posts , as I am curious RE: the following...

WHY , is it great the I do not remember J.D ?

Why , are you looking for more dates on Deep-dans ? I gave you the dates in my post before you said you were looking for more. I reckon I should know more about the lures I made than any sources you have for your information.

Why , if the Kadiatcha ( Cod lure ) according to your information was being worked on and designed in the 70's , still did not appear in the article in 1983. There is no photo's , profile templates or mention of such in the article.

I'm not sure why my dates are being questioned , or my knowledge doubted.

There is a self promoting , self appointed , supposed lure expert and journalist in australia , who has been preoccupied in trying to discredit me for more than 15 years. Without putting himself in a position of litigation , he has fail at every attempt. If this is of a similar inquiry , I can only hope that the information provider or providers have proper proof and put their names up for all readers to see.

I post my views and information under my name , and take full responsibility if and when I make a mistake. I do not call un-named sources and post their views , and think that if these sources had the fortitude , they should post it themself. Behind the scenes chit-chat is a sign of spinelessness , and in most cases "inuendo ".

RDR
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 am

Ah, “experts, ya gotta love em”.

Dave, why is it that you are prepared to listen to Trevor & not the maker. Is Rob not to be trusted & Trevor is because he`s a lovely bloke & Rob`s not. Is all the info presented & gladly received for years by Rob also to be questioned. Not a good road to go down. I know you will say you never doubted Rob`s post, but your response after it, says otherwise.

All the experts & still no date on what is, according to many, the greatest Cod lure in the history of Australia.

JD, (if you are for real), your post has done just as I thought it would when I first read it. I`ll bet you have had some contact about selling your lures as well as being doubted & treated as another stirrer. Even those that know better will not back you with this story. We are all happy with the current story, that has no proof either, but only stories like yours.

Fear not though, Bullrout will no doubt come up with the facts to finally sort this out & we can all be happy with the result.
Regards.....Vince.

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am

Well said everyone... Lets leave it at that now...Nev

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 pm

I did shoot off a message about the lures & got a response saying he didnt want to sell em...

Oh well...

There's a big difference between 'having a voice' & having someone speak for you too... Just saying
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:54 pm

Dave i have always admired your balls to try and dig a answer out no matter the consequences everyone has a voice mine your who ever may be wrong but i think guys should remember Dave doesnt stir crap he is opened minded like myself and i back him always.Rob and others Dave and i probably shouldn't have mentioned this holds you in great esteem to mock or criticize you takes balls but remember dont friends even criticize if their real friends because i feel safe in the knowledge maybe my attempt at trying to find something new or undiscovered a real asset the time it takes to try and track things down is hard and not every source is creditable but should a guy be shot down for trying.I understand your points and i know you know a hell of a lot about lures and all the makers but are we justified to try and find possible something new and exciting [sorry guys had to step in and voice myself] Dave,Rob come on guys i dont think this is in malice just rocks being unturned possible leads undiscovered but it also could be just a false lead who knows but in the end were friends aren't we
ill shut up now and this post isn't done in anger quite the opposite ,just trying to prevent backs getting up information questioned etc etc besides with more and more input without going astray can only prove or help others believe or understand the facts put forward by all partys ...

just my opinion and a facts i actually know nothing more ,dont stress guys i dont think anyones reputation or knowledge is being criticized just added to

Return to “AUSTRALIA'S AUSTRALIAN LURES GENERAL FISHING LURES VINTAGE AND COLLECTABLE LURES”