What makes a lure collectable?

fishtrick1
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

What makes a lure collectable?

Post by fishtrick1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi. This site makes fascinating reading. I am curious as to what makes a specific lure (or seemingly a lure maker) more collectable than another. My first impressions are that Aussie lures seem to be the most collectable (in Australia at least), they have to be timber and obviously the less of them that were made, the more collectable them become. However, I have some Aussie timber lures that I am selling. I have some Paul Kneller Deceptions that I can't believe the interest in them. I thought they were pretty widely available in their day but they seem to have real collectable value. Why do these seem to be more appealing than timber Bill's Bugs, Custom Craft, Mick Elliot's or KillaLures?
Fishtrick

Rupe
Master
Master

Re: What makes a lure collectable?

Post by Rupe » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:13 pm

g'day fishtrick...

got any RMG's??????????????

hhyp hhyp hhyp hhyp hhyp hhyp hhyp
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

fishtrick1
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by fishtrick1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi Rupe.
I'll have to check whether I still have any.
Fishtrick

Fishing Man
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fishing Man » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:10 pm

hey mate,
welcome aboard!

i guess its different for everyone,
for me it all goes back to when i was a kid looking in magazines (early 90s)
Freshwater Fishing magazine was my favourite and funnily enough using and collecting yellowbelly lures was my thing.
Sadly all my old lures are not with me anymore, nor my piles of freshwater fishing mags.

but for me deception shrimps (green and orange rings) whittys and RMG lures were always favourites,
thus they are the kind of lures i collect. I can spend hours looking at them.
ive had an interest in Aussie cod/yella lures for a long long time so its easy for me to find them collectible.
cheers,

Ben

fishtrick1
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by fishtrick1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks guys. Very interesting.

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:55 pm

Downunder Boomerangs

Mcfeeter lures

RMG's

Vipers

CC lures

Legden lures all these and a few other Aussy makers I grew up fishing with in my younger days and wish I never gave them away or lost them.

Hence why I try and collect them now.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:49 am

Its the same for me . . . the lures both Aussie and O/S that I fished with as a youngster I try to collect now (and use) thumbsupsmilie

I love all of them and the collectibility depends on what you are collecting ???

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

handbrake
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by handbrake » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:58 pm

What makes a lure collectable? Familiarity with a certain lure or maker that brings back memories of good fishing times. Then you have a goal to collect all his styles, then all the colours. If the luremaker only made 3 lures it wouldn't be much of a collection. Are they valuable? Probably not now but hang onto them for ten years and see then. Rarity and nonproduction makes them valuable. That's only my opinion, do you agree?

TrebleHooked
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by TrebleHooked » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:10 pm

I asked the same question, "what makes a lure collectable" after recently talking with with the Guy from Predator lures at the recent Cod Classic. He mentioned that the older Cedar lures he used to make were going for hundreds of dollars to collectors.
So, I thought its probably best not to keep fishing with mine, and swiftly took them out of my tackle box for safe keeping.
On further investigation I found I had several old timber lures which seem collectable. Including a B Campbell platypus, Metal bibbed Rellik Doc and a Hammerhead, as well as a few timber Oar Gee Wee Pees.
When you look at the finish and craftsmanship that goes into making these lures from timber, its no wonder people wish to collect them. Especially now that everything is mass produced in plastic and imported. Australian handcrafted lures are something special.

action
Rookie
Rookie

Post by action » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:44 pm

would you like to get rid of that platypus campbell.....trade or sell ...... cheers aaron

Return to “AUSTRALIA'S AUSTRALIAN LURES GENERAL FISHING LURES VINTAGE AND COLLECTABLE LURES”