JIM DONALY "WOW" - Pre Heddon & Birth of the

Fizza

JIM DONALY "WOW" - Pre Heddon & Birth of the

Post by Fizza » Sat May 31, 2008 11:06 am

I believe this old timer is C1936 although it could go back as far as 1928 or up until the late 1930's to when Heddon bought the patent probably in 1939 as I understand. howdy .

During the same period as The "Donaly WOW" another similar lure oopssmilie with predominantly rearward facing wings The "Jersey WOW" was simultaneously on the market. I'm not 100% sure who was 1st but think Donaly. nahnah

Although I have a few Crazy Crawlers lying around this old rascal is my personal favourite. droolsmilie thumbsupsmilie susssmilie

chukka
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by chukka » Sat May 31, 2008 9:34 pm

Fizza
Your knowlage of lures is incredible. bowsmilie bowsmilie bowsmilie

Your collection of lures is incredible. bowsmilie bowsmilie bowsmilie

And how far you have lifted the bar in the vintage and collectables section astounds me. shockedsmilie shockedsmilie shockedsmilie

Looking forward to see how far (and what else you have ) you can take this new section yay yay yay

You are the guru thumbsupsmilie
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:47 am

Very humbling words chukka, dunno what to say except a BIG THANKS to ALL who've been so kind. -harp -hmmthink

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:31 pm

Looks like the old heddon mouse topwaters mixed up with a cicada topwater ,,,,beautiful original from which many have tried to copy...

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi Fizza,
I had a dig through a couple of my referece books and a few sites I go to for info.
Your lovely lil Crazy Crawler is a ripper, shame the leather ears are gone.

The Crazy Crawler series 2100 was introduced in 1940, maybe 1939, with a length of 2-3/4" and a weight of 3/4oz. This lure was originally produced by Donaly Lure Co, but Heddon bought the patent sometime in 1939. This fish catching lure came in seven cataloged colors originally, but was ultimately offered in eleven cataloged colors. The 2100 series was produced until 1957, when it was ultimately replaced by the tenite series 9120.
Colour is GM Gray Mouse, Older model with Ears which were produced between 1940-52.
It has Donaly Clips which were still used on Heddon models between 1939-41.
It has Heddon's Two Piece "Flap-Rig" Hardware which were used between 1939-46.
Therefore putting all those variables in the pot, your lure was made between 1940 and 1941.
A definate VINTAGE LURE maybe even ANTIQUE thumbsupsmilie

Cheers Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Return to “SURFACE LURES TOPWATER LURES POPPERS ETC”